How-to Videos: See How Easy it is to Make Changes to Your Nonprofit’s WordPress Website
Here at Cathexis Partners, we like building nonprofit websites on WordPress. Of course, it’s not the only solution, and it’s not the best solution for every organization. But it does have a lot to offer nonprofits.
There are several things to consider when deciding if WordPress is right for your nonprofit’s website. That’s why we’ve written several articles on this blog about things to think about when considering WordPress. We also hosted a webinar about getting started with WordPress.
One of the key things many nonprofits also want to know is how easy it will be to make changes in WordPress. So, I’ve pulled together a few short video clips to help you see how simple it is to make basic changes in WordPress:
- How to install and activate a WordPress theme — If you have a WordPress site, you already have a theme. The theme controls the appearance and even some functionality of the site. This video shows a fresh WordPress site right after installation, using a default theme. Find out how to change to a different theme:
- How to install a WordPress Plugin — Plugins can add functionality to your website. In this video, I show you how I add a Plugin called Yoast that helps track search engine optimization (SEO):
- How to update a WordPress Plugin — Like any software, Plugins often have updates. Keeping them up to date makes your site less vulnerable to security breaches. In this video, I walk through the process of updating a Plugin:
- How to modify menus on a WordPress website — In this video, I switch to a site that we have already built using a custom theme for nonprofits, the Cathexis Partners theme, which many of our clients use as a starting point for their sites. Watch an example of how I add a Leadership dropdown to the About Us menu:
- How to edit content using Gutenberg in WordPress — Now let’s add some content to the new Leadership page. WordPress has a built-in, block-based editing tool called Gutenberg that I use in this video to add the content:
- How to edit theme options in WordPress — Some parts of the site, like the header and footer, aren’t editable on the page level, since they show on all pages. So how do you edit these? Like many other themes, the Cathexis Partners theme has an options page where these things can be edited. In this video, I change the address in the footer:
If you’re considering using WordPress for your nonprofit, the Cathexis Partners team is ready to assist. We can help you decide if WordPress is right for your nonprofit and what type of WordPress theme is right for your organization. We can also help you design, develop, and launch your WordPress website as well as train your staff to use WordPress effectively. Contact us to get started
by Jim Jasper, Designer/Developer, Cathexis Partners
Based in Northwestern Connecticut, Jim started designing and developing websites for nonprofits in 1996. He has worked with organizations of all types and sizes using a wide range of technologies.